Monday, June 26, 2017

HAVE YOU HEARD FROM GOD?

I recently taught on the idea of 'hearing' God. I believe that God wired us in our mother's womb to be EITHER [1]auditory, [2]visual, or [3]kinesthetic. Its the way we learn best, process stuff in our mind, and also the way we hear, see or feel God.
Not knowing this can make a visual or kinesthetic person wonder if God doesn't like them as much cause He doesn't 'talk' to them...like everyone else in their church.
I'm pretty visual and also kinesthetic. So I see visiony things in my head or feel His present in a tactile or emotional way that leads me and directs me. That's how I 'hear' God. Now for me to tell you what I sensed I have to translate that into words. Some of those other people (in your church maybe?) do this too.
In the past it made me feel like I was lying to folks because I knew I didn't 'hear' those exact words directly from God. But it's just the words I assigned so I could tell someone else. As my wife and I "listen" (here we go again) for direction from God as how to make decisions for our family I have to translate it into words.
My way isn't better than someone else's and their way isn't better than the way God fashioned me. Now I accept that that is how God communicates with me and it is more than OK! Hope you find similar freedom to be just like God made you!
TRY THIS: Get quite and close your eyes. Think about something that happened today. How are your processing it? Visually? Like someone narrating a story? Or in feelings and/or hands-on experience? Now take from what you learned and apply it to how you relate to God. If you are not auditory, change your prays and meditations to be more of your modality: seeing or feeling. Most of all have fun with it! God's got you and you can't mess up anything as you explore more with God!

1 comment:

  1. Casey, you are so right. I am the feeling type of person. When God called me to the counseling ministry, it was at a red light, not once but twice at the same red light, on my way to work as a church secretary. Did I hear an audible voice, no. It was more like an idea coming from nowhere, yet I knew it was something that would never have come from me, like a thought within the realm of my usual thinking. For one, I was 54 years old; who in their right mind would even consider going back to school that old. Yet, later I found out there are lots of 'old' people who go back to school. More to the point though, God moved me on to the plan and purpose for my life, because I heard his voice through a veil that was peeled right off my windshield. Yes, the second time, it was like the tint peeled right off my windshield and the bright light of understanding made it all clear as to what He wanted me to do, and I did it; with God's help, I did it. 4 years, got my BA in Christian Counseling; 2.5 years, got my Master's Degree in Christian Counseling; another year, my certificate in marriage & family therapy. Then, working in community mental health, with DJJ offenders; on to working with prison inmates (36 male offenders - murders, rapist), and child molesters, and, finally, in private practice. During the second to last semester of my Master's Degree, I took the Holland Code Quiz online. My career objective was confirmed - teacher, or counselor. Imagine that! God was right!!! This probably is in the top 10 most challenging, difficult careers out there, but God called me and equipped me through lots of good and horrible life experience before the call. He saw me through disability that developed from being broadsided by a drunk driver, prior to my call to this ministry. And, being in private practice, with all the financial difficulty to run the practice is a whole different side of it all that absolutely demands trust in Him who called me. As the song goes, Through It All, I've learned to trust in Jesus, learned to depend upon His Word. He shows me every day that the call was real, not for wealth untold, but to minister to hurting people, help them realize there is HOPE! Thank you for this opportunity to share a part of my story on "Hearing God". I read Peter Lord's book, HEARING GOD. I hope to write a book, too. I'm almost 70 years old. It's time to encourage people for years to come, even when I'm finally in Heaven and hearing those word, "Well done, my good and faithful servant."

    ReplyDelete