Sunday, November 26, 2017



Judged for spelling.

I am a terrible speller. I teach numerous workshop involving my 'two worlds' of counseling and art -and sometimes both! Last year I taught meditation, art & therapy in Cape Cod where the 70 clinians in my audience were mostly more educated and credentials than myself.  I even had to two doctors in attendance.  

I teach writing on whiteboards to avoid "Death by Powerpoint".  Although it would be wiser of me because 
Powerpoint 
has spell-check.  So I usually start off with this little joke to set the tone:

"I take pride being a creative person, but I am a bad speller -as you will see.  I actually feel sorry for you people, you only know one way to spell a word.  I am much more creative than that."


So let's make a deal, don't judge me for being a bad speller and I won't judge you for lacking imagination! 


Judging is a tricky thing.  "Judge not least ye be judge" but what does that mean?  Especially since we are also charged to have a good judgment.  


Also, judgment is subjective.  Last year I won first place in a large art competition.  Out of 100s of entries my piece was judged to be the best in one of the four categories (sculpture).  What a compliment!  ...until I looked around to look at what the same judge considered the best in the other categories.  In my own subjective judgement they picked crap!  It was the worst stuff!  There was so much better art that was not given one of the many colored ribbons.  Now their judgement almost feels insulting.  But I still cashed the $500 check!  

No comments:

Post a Comment