Monday, July 17, 2017

Emotional Responsibility!

By now you have heard of Emotional Intelligence.  It's good stuff and you should spend some time researching it.  But how do you get there?  By taking Emotional Responsibility.

This would be a good adage to put on your refrigerator:  "I become mature in any area of my life that I take personal responsibility
."

This changes everything!  Not only are my emotional responses my responsibility -and within my control, but they are readable kinesthetically in the body!  In fact, taking the time and attention to the emotion represented in the feelings in my body is the key to being in control of yourself.

When we become aware of the feeling of an emotion in our body we decide between Expression or Suppression. But there is another option: Observation

Next time you feel, try just observing the feeling. There is no immediate need to express it ...or suppress it. Just sit in it. Be with it. Objectively be aware of it. Don't do anything to change it -just accept that it is there. No longer subject to it. Move from subjectively experiencing emotion to objective awareness.

Notice then how the feeling of emotions comes ...and goes.
The sensation soften ...and others appear.

Ever have cravings? Now just wait them out. As strong as they appear, they will disappear.
Accept that there is nothing wrong with cravings. It would be wrong to act on them, but to have them is normal, human, and to be accepted. Observe them patiently. Accept that they are there. Allow them to float in ...and float out. 


Notice how you are safe, good, and OK just observing that sensation.


This is part of the process that I teach all my clients.  It's called Emotion Mapping and Mood Management.  100s of my clients demanded that I create an audio product so they could go through the Therapeutic Meditation exercise again and again.  So this link goes to the consumer product 

Therapeutic Meditation for Mood Management Self Mastery:

https://gumroad.com/l/cudZt 

Other counselors and therapists wanted me to teach them how to use these approaches with their clients.  After teaching 100s of them in person workshops in Cape Cod to Savannah, I created this course

A Clinician’s Guide to Therapeutic Meditation Course & Curriculum:  https://gumroad.com/l/RPQHQ 

Feel free to contact through my website if I can help you personally or your organization: caseycolecorbin.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment